Club / 

One day one match (21/03/2012) : PSG 1 – 3 OL, direction: semifinals

Published on 26 March 2020 at 6:00 AM
Un jour un match (21/03/2012) : PSG 1 – 3 OL, direction le dernier carré
On March 21, 2012, Olympique Lyonnais traveled to the Parc des Princes to face Paris Saint-Germain in the quarterfinals of the Coupe de France, a match that ended in a beautiful three-goal victory for Lyon.

Eight years ago today, OL had to fend off the capital side to continue their journey in the Coupe de France and reach the last four. Before that, in the Round of 16, the players of Rémi Garde  had managed to eliminate Girondins de Bordeaux at the Stade de Gerland after added time (3-1). It was a completely different affair which now presented itself to Lisandro and his teammates as they were away to the big side PSG, strongly strengthened in the previous summer notably thanks to the arrival of the Qataris in Île-de-France. No more recently than a few weeks earlier, the two teams had played to a draw after the Parisians had battled back against the Lyonnais in the final moments (4-4).



From the start of the match, OL played their match well and found themselves facing an opponent who were dropping into their on half and playing with a low block. Bafétimbi Gomis tried his luck twice, in vain, but it was ultimately the Ile-de-France side who took the lead against the run of play. Indeed, a very contentious penalty was whistled following a handball by Samuel Umtiti. The Brazilian Néné took charge and beat Hugo Lloris (1-0, 18 ’). A reaction was quick to come, however, as Réveillère and his teammates saw the situation as an injustice. Kim Källström equalized for OL, only a few minutes after conceding the first goal of the match, with a splendid free kick that found the back of the net against Nicolas Douchez (1-1, 25 ’). Very impressice that evening, the Swede was again at the races in the 39th minute and played a marvel of a  cross for the Argentinian Lisandro López who doubled the lead (1-2, 39 ') and therefore allowed his own team to lead at the break.


Returning from the locker room, Carlo Ancelotti's men were determined to do better and to remedy this, the Italian tactician brought Javier Pastore on, which greatly improved the fluidity of the hosts' midfield.  Lyon would suffer but hold on. Hugo Lloris was up to the test in this important match and kept his team ahead. Little by little, Rémi Garde was making defensive changes as he saw his team dominated in the second half of this meeting. The team folded but did not break and even took the lead permanently in stoppage time after a penalty won by Michel Bastos was converted by by "Bafé" Gomis (1-3, 90 + 2 ’).




It was a victory that allowed Olympique Lyonnais to continue on its path in this competition. Lyon would then play Gazélec Ajaccio in the semi-final in Corsica (0-4) then face Quevilly in the final. This match at the Stade de France would be won by the smallest of margins thanks to a goal from Lisandro, thereby earning the club the fifth Coupe de France in their history.