Gambardella OL - Bourg en Bresse : The essential is done (1-0)
KEY MOMENTS .
17. Cherki lobs the goalkeeper. The ball is saved on the line.
26. Bracola takes his chance from the edge of the area, but it's stopped.
37. Bourg en Bresse are on the counter but it's perfectly defended by Felix.
40. Cherki's strike is blocked by the goalkeeper.
41. GOAL! Long ball by Thomas for Wissa who lobs the opposing 'keeper. 1-0
58. Header at close range from Commaret which passes just above the bar.
80. Sounni's strike in the area lacks power.
83. Tebily shoots on the turn, but his shot is wide.
86. Barcola has a one-on-one with the goalkeeper but his shot goes wide.
87. Barcola finds himself alone again but misses his chance.
90. Da Silva takes a swing, but hits the post.
It is time for the academy players of Lyon to return to action and what better way than the Gambardella cup. After a big win in the previous round against Epinal (0-6), today was a different story OL hosted their neighbor from Bresse. It was a derby-like Round of 64 that Rayan Cherki's teammates would have to win if they want to go to the end of the competition.
The start of the match is complicated for Lyon who find it difficult to control possession. The match lacks rhythm, and the duels are tough but OL are technically superior. On the quarter hour, Rayan Cherki made a nice lob but it was miraculously saved by the Burgian defender on his line. Things are difficult for the players of Eric Hély who find it difficult to create much going forward. At the end of the first period, Titouan Thomas makes a superb pass of 50 meters to play in Eli Wissa at the back of the defense, and he finished perfectly with a nice lob (41 '). The Lyon captain thus gave himself an assist on his 18th birthday, which allowed OL to take the advantage at the break.
Despite this advantage, Lyon were still struggling in the second half. Long minutes of of play went by without either of the two teams creating real opportunities. On the hour, Mattéo Commaret is found twice in a row in the area, but his two headers are off-target, Despite some flashes, like a nice Lyon move at the end of the match which sees the Bresse goalkeeper make a fine save, the second period is fairly clean in play and lacking chances on both sides. At the end of the match, Bradley Barcola has two chances to kill the match but he is unsuccesful and leaves Bourg en Bresse in the match. The match is opened up: the Bressans rush forward while OL hold their ground. It was Florent Da Silva's turn to be dangerous and hit the post (89 ’) but the score remained unchanged and Lyon qualified under duress for the round of 32.
A complicated encounter, a tough opponent, a lack of inspiration were frustrating but the essential thing was provided by the players of Eric Hély who continue their adventure in the Gambardella. However, it would be more fair and proud to go out of a competition that has escaped for 23 years the reach of Lyon.
MATCH DETAILS .
OL : Ousmane - Commaret, Felix, Lukeba, Lomami - Sounni, Thomas (cap.), Da Silva, Barcola - Cherki (Bonnet 65'), Wissa (Tebily 73'). Manager : Eric Hély