OL - Rennes : A missed chance (0-1)
15. Good job from Raphinha to set up Niang, whose strike passes over the bar.
17. Memphis attempts a direct corner but sees it blocked on the line by Grenier.
27. Aouar bursts forward in the center and takes his chance, but it's pushed away for a corner by Mendy.
28. Raphinha on the overlap, who crosses to Grenier, unmarked at the penalty spot but the former Lyon player miscontrols his chance.
30. Super save by Lopes on a Bourigeaud free kick from 25m.
34. Niang has a shot from the edge of the area, but it's picked off by Lopes.
53. Traore has a run through the heart of midfield, but loses the ball in the area.
63. Tousart hits a shot from the edge of the area which flies over the crossbar.
77. Hunou's ball for Niang in the area results in a scuffed chance.
80. Amazing block from Rafael who tackles the ball just before Niang can score into an empty goal.
83. Double opportunity for OL with the strikes by Caqueret and Traoré, both stopped by Mendy.
89. Goal for Rennes! Camavinga dribbles past two players before beating Lopes. 0-1
It was and 18th crucial day of the championship for Lyon who, if successful, could move into fourth place. Opposite Les Gones was a direct opponent of OL -- before the match Rennes were two points ahead of Rudi Garcia's players. The first minutes of the match were complicated for Lyon, who could not manage to get on the ball and suffered dearly from the physical play of Stade Rennais. The match was fairly close despite a few accelerations from the brazen Brazilian winger Raphinha who managed to overtake Rafael twice. At the end of the first half, the match was a little more disjointed with chances on both sides but the defenses were vigilant.
The beginning of the second half is like the first, with very few chances on either side. The midfielders of each team neutralize each other which makes the game closed. We must wait until the 80th minute to see the first real chance of the match and it is in favor of Stade Rennais. Hunou overlaps and crosses for Niang who finds himself alone facing an empty net; luckily Rafael makes a miraculous tackle to block the ball. In the last ten minutes, the match came to life and it was Lyon's turn to be dangerous with a double chance for Maxence Caqueret and Bertrand Traoré. But the two strikes from Lyon are stopped by the Rennes goalkeeper. It was finally young Camavinga who made a breakthrough against the Lyon defense before beating Anthony Lopes with a strike with his right foot (89 ’). OL would not be able to create a final opportunity to snatch a draw and therefore Stade Rennais took all three points.
Rudi Garcia's players missed out on the opportunity to move up the table. They are now in eighth place and are six points from the podium. We will have to bounce back before the last match of the first half, next Saturday, against Reims.
. EXPERT ANALYSIS - Bryan Bergougnoux.
We were unable to find solutions to threaten the Rennes team. We were unlucky with two fresh injuries. We are worried because Memphis and Reine-Adelaide are two important players. It's hard to cope with so many absentees. We hardly had any chances and we were punished at the end. It was difficult this evening.
At Groupama Stadium, Décines.
L1 (J18) : OL - Rennes 0-1 (0-0)
Referee : Benoît Bastien. Attendance : 45 010
Goals : Camavinga (89') for Rennes.
Bookings : Traoré (53'), Andersen (56'), Caqueret (90+1') for OL ; Niang (45+1'), Bourigeaud (76'), Gnagnon (82') for Rennes.
OL : Lopes - Tete, Andersen, Denayer, Rafael (Cornet 90') - Tousart, Caqueret - Reine-Adélaïde (Traoré 35'), Memphis (cap.) (Terrier 46'), Aouar - Dembélé Manager: Rudi Garcia
Rennes : Mendy - Traoré, Da Silva (cap.), Morel, Maouassa (Gnagnon, 71') - Bourigeaud, Camavinga, Grenier (Hunou, 70'), Lea Siliki - Raphinha, Niang (Del Castillo, 83'). Manager: Julien Stéphan
Make your evening OL - Rennes with OLPLAY