Umtiti headed to the Euros!
The news has just been ratified by the French Football Federation. Samuel Umtiti is to replace Barcelona's Jérémy Mathieu in the 23-man squad to take part in Euro 2016 in France in just under a fortnight's time. Mathieu underwent examinations following his injury and Didier Deschamps' staff weren't convinced by the results. Thus the France boss decided to release the Barcelona player and to enlist Umtiti, named in the list of eight reserves along with Alexandre Lacazette, into his main squad.
So Samuel Umtiti will take part in the upcoming Euros with Les Bleus, including clubmate Christophe Jallet. An U20 world champion and a regular for France at every youth level, the OL man will be experiencing the highest international level for the first time and could even earn his first senior cap - which would be a richly deserved reward for the 22-year-old after a stellar season in the OL shirt.
Les Bleus' upcoming fixtures
- Friendly (4 June at 21:00): France-Cameroon in Nantes
- Friendly (4 June at 21h00): France-Scotland in Saint-Denis
- Euro (10 June at 21h00): France-Romania in Saint-Denis
- Euro (15 June at 21h00): France-Albania in Marseille
- Euro (19 June at 21h00): Switzerland-France in Lille