Masculins / Rennes - OL

The end of the streak…

Published on 02 February 2014 at 7:00 PM
Despite a very good display, Olympique Lyonnais, playing with ten men for the entire second half, lost for the first time in seven matches... and missed out on the chance to close to within four points of third spot...

Gourcuff stayed in Lyon to receive treatment. But Rémi Garde stuck with the same tactic, bringing in Malbranque to replace Yo and playing Grenier a little higher on the pitch. OL were looking to extend their unbeaten run and record a fourth consecutive victory and close in on third place after Lille's loss earlier in the afternoon. Rennes started with two of their winter signings in Ntep and Toivonen. They were looking to end their own run of six games without a win and climb away from the drop zone (6 points ahead of VAFC).

Doucouré had the first shot in anger, but failed to test Lopes (2').  An Alessandrini cross forced Umtiti to scramble the ball behind for corner (6'). Les Bretons were well-organised.  Les Lyonnais slowly got into the game, with a lively Bedimo down the left flank. Malbranque shot and then Grenier's free-kick needed saving (10'). The match was an even affair on a difficult pitch. Gonalons and Co. enjoyed more of the possession. But from an Alessandrini corner,  Hountondji  scored with a header (22'); the OL defence was caught out!

OL refused to lie down and fought back immediately. Grenier again went close with a free-kick; Gomis tried his luck from distance. It was entertaining match and Gonalons saw his missile saved by Costil before he headed just wide.  Unfortunately, Umtiti brought down Alessandrini with a studs first challenge and was sent off. Bisevac then received a yellow card for a tackle on Toivonen.  It was a shame, because Lyon had played well in this first half.

Bakari Koné replaced Malbranque to play alongside Bisevac. Moreira replaced Danzé who picked up a knock. OL started the second half on the attack, despite playing a man down. Gomis was stopped by Armand. Rennes were suffering…  sitting back and looking to hit on the counterattack.  Grenier's third free-kick failed to hit the target.  OL were in total control. Bisevac cleared a dangerous ball in the area with his hand... the match was in the balance…

But just after the hour mark, a superb team move saw Toivonen score Rennes' second of the evening!  The home side knocked the balla round intelligently, using their extra man well and forcing the opening. OL but didn't throw in the towel and kept playing. The reward? Perhaps a promising Grenier free-kick? But the ball fizzed over the top.

Rémi Garde brought on Briand and Danic to replace Gomis and Lacazette. The home side looked to defend their lead as OL continued to enjoy the ball, but were unable to do anything with it. OL's shots failed to cause Costil any real problems, like the chance that fell to Fofana (86'). Kadir went within a whisker of adding a third… OL were beaten despite and courageous performance in a match that changed late on in the first half...




In Rennes, Stade de la Route de Lorient, 20,000 spectators; Referee: Mr Kalt. Stade Rennais 2-0 OL (H-T: Stade Rennais 1-0 OL).

Stade Rennais : Costil – Danzé (cap) (Moreira 46'), Hountondji, Armand, M’Bengue – Makoun, Konradsen – Ntep (Grosicki 63'), Doucouré, Alessandrini  (Kadir 72') – Toivonen. Coach: Montanier.

OL: A. Lopes – Zeffane – Bisevac, Umtiti, Bedimo – Gonalons (cap), Fofana, Malbranque (B. Koné 46'), Grenier – Lacazette (Danic 76'), Gomis (Briand 68') Coach: Garde.

Goals: Hountondji 22' (R), Toivonen 66' (R)

Yellow Card: Bisevac (OL) 43'

Red Card: Umtiti (OL ) 41'



By continuing your visit to this site, you accept the use of cookies for you offer 
services and offers tailored to your interests. Learn more and manage these settings .